Pages

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Sick Beats and a Splurge | October Favourites

s
Hello all!

Now that October has passed, it's only appropriate for me to do my October Favourites. Last month went past as a blur as two major things happened: I went to Borneo for a week with the school, and I moved house! I'm back and settled down, so prepare for a chatty post today.

The month of October was a month I splurged on a couple of items. First is my Kate Spade Ceder Street Stacy purse. After several years of switching between Accessorize and Forever 21 purses I decided to invest in one that would last me a long time without going out of style. I decided on the Stacy because it's roomy enough for all things necessary in a purse, and still sleek and compact. Black was an obvious choice as a. it tends to hide stains, marks and scratches better than other colours, and b. black is a timeless colour. Another splurge is Mac's Velvet Teddy lipstick. Thanks to Kylie Jenner, I have found a nice shade that goes with pretty much everything! The matte finish isn't too drying, which I find is the case with some matte lipsticks.

From Borneo I brought home a few henna cones, and it truly is addicting to draw designs on your arm. It's a fun way to accessorise without all the commitment or pain of a real tattoo.

My TV show favourite of the month is ABC's 'Quantico', a thrilling series that follows Alex Parrish, an FBI agent who has been accused of a bombing in New York. The show very much reminds me of an all-time beloved, 'How To Get Away With Murder', as it is set in the present but flashes back to the Quantico training. Priyanka Chopra, who plays Alex, is gorgeous and it makes me happy that they cast a woman of colour as the lead; you don't see that too often!

After a month of dawdling I finally purchased 'The Wrath and the Dawn' by Renee Ahdieh. It had been on my books-to-buy list for quite a while, and I am so glad I did eventually buy it.  The story is an adaptation of the classic 'A Hundred and One Arabian Nights', revolving around Shahrzad, a girl who sacrifices herself to be the Caliph of Khorasan's next wife. The reason why I love this book so much is that the description is lusciously rich, similar to Erin Morgenstern's 'Night Circus', my all-time favourite book. I would highly recommend this book to anybody remotely interested because it truly is a hidden gem.

s
In Borneo I rediscovered old songs from the group of people I went with, and discovered my appreciation for rap music. I started off with Kid Ink's tracks after hearing him on Fifth Harmony's 'Worth It', and after listening to his album 'Full Speed', it's safe to say he's now one of my favourite artists. Spotify has been my go-to app lately for discovering music because they've got hundreds of playlists made according to genre and mood. Through one of their hip-hop playlists I started listening to Big Sean's 'I Don't F*** With You'; granted, it's not a song you can go round blasting out of your speakers, but I can't deny that it's catchy! Macklemore and Ryan Lewis's 'Downtown' is a spunky, magical creation and the choreography videos I've seen on YouTube from the likes of Kyle Hanagami, 1Million Dance Studio and Matt Steffanina perfectly capture the different moods expressed through it. Tracks I've picked up from dance class are Dawin's 'Dessert' featuring Silento and Redfoo's 'New Thang'; I am an absolute sucker for danceable songs as dance is one of my favourite hobbies. Justin Bieber is making quite the comeback with the new releases off his coming album 'Purpose' and my favourite so far is definitely 'Sorry'. The hottest new track that literally everyone has been playing is Drake's 'Hotline Bling' so it's not a surprise that it's included in my Favourites. To conclude everything, my last favourite is Troye Sivan's 'TALK ME DOWN'. The Blue Neighbourhood trilogy is absolutely beautiful and heartbreaking, and, along with thousands of other fans, I am secretly waiting for a Part 4/3 because the ending to Part 3 was undoubtedly brutal. 





Ahhhhh, I've missed writing long posts! I'll see you in my next one! x

No comments:

Post a Comment


Back to Top