Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

DIY: Daisy Print Pen Holder Mug

Hey guys :)

I have yet ANOTHER DIY for you guys today! As I mentioned in my last post, it is the Chinese New Year period. The other day, my family and I went out to Mong Kok to buy some flowers for the living room and such. Personally, I like flowers. They look gorgeous but they wilt and die within a week, which is kind of sad :(

I was inspired by the flowers to do something floral-printed. At home, I found an empty white mug from a DIY present I did a while back. The mug was big enough to fit all the pens from my old pen holder, so I decided to jazz it up.

This is probably another one of the jazz-up-my-desk-area DIYs that I've been doing... :)

You will need:
1. A plain mug - I bought mine for $5 from Ikea; the least expensive the better because cheaper mugs have a  lower quality glaze finish which will help the paint adhere better
2. black and yellow (song reference!) oil-based paint markers - I found them in Popular for around $12. You can also find them in Commercial Press or any stationary store
3. optional stencils or pictures for reference

1. To start off, I used my black paint marker to draw on a daisy print. For this, I didn't use a stencil and just free-handed the daisies. Of course, I had to practice on a sheet of paper to be eeeextra careful


*extra tip: if you mess up any lines, simply scratch the area with a cotton pad soaked in rubbing alcohol 

2. Fill in the middle of the flower with a yellow paint marker


3. Wait a few minutes for everything to dry and you are done!


I like how the main colours are black and white (big trend for Spring 2014), but then the yellow adds a pop of colour that instantly brightens up the mug. The designs are endless: striped, dots, tribal, whatever you can think of! You could also use permanent markers instead of paint markers, but I found that the colours of paint markers appear brighter on the mug. 

That's it for today Have a good day/night!



Show me your recreations on Instagram by tagging my username @icygirl79! Leave a comment down below and don't forget to follow Love From Icy on Bloglovin!

No comments:

Post a Comment


Back to Top