Pages

Thursday, July 16, 2015

My Eyes Crave New Material: A Book Wish List

Now that summer's here, I definitely have more free time. I do wish to spend that time wisely, and read more to fulfil my New Year's resolution. It's crazy how books can affect us; as I've seen on Tumblr, yes, I do agree that reading is essentially 'staring at dead wood for a couple of hours while we hallucinate'. So many books are being published these days, and I really feel that I'm missing out. Below is a list of books I'm looking forward to reading!
images are not mine, found around the web

1. 'Finding Audrey' by Sophie Kinsella 
I have always been an avid reader of the 'Shopaholic' series, as Sophie Kinsella portrays Becky Bloomwood as a funny, charming, and relatable character. 'Finding Audrey' is a book primarily aimed at the YA audience, and I'm interested to see how the theme of anxiety is interpreted. 

2. 'China Rich Girlfriend' by Kevin Kwan
A sequel to the upbeat and hilarious 'Crazy Rich Asians', this may be the book I am most excited to read. Asian literature is one of my favourite book genres, because though I live in Hong Kong, the situations depicted in these books are so different to what I experience in my life. 'China Rich Girlfriend' picks up where its previous book left off, continuing the story from Rachel's point of view. All the characters are extremely entertaining, and I can't wait to see how everyone reacts to the wedding.

3. The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare
I simply can't pick one out of the three books in the series; I must finish the entire trilogy. A friend introduced The Mortal Instruments series to me, and I was hooked. Most of my free time between the exam period was filled with Starbucks-and-reading breaks. I've finished the first five books from TMI, and was recommended to read TIF before starting 'City of Heavenly Fire'. The world of the Shadowhunters completely sucked me in, allowing me to de-stress from exams and how much I procrastinated from studying.

4. 'Anna and the French Kiss' by Stephanie Perkins
You know me, a regular sucker for chick-flicks and all things predictable! I hope this book will be a fun, light-hearted story with a fairytale ending to wrap everything up.

5. 'The Wrath and the Dawn' by Renée Ahdieh
One of the bestsellers found on Book Depository, this book is based on 'A Thousand and One Arabian Nights'. I have always found that tale compelling: a ruler marries and kills women as vengeance for his wife leaving him; he marries one that manages to prevent him from killing her by telling him stories for a thousand and one nights. Many authors have adapted the story, tweaking details to make it their own. I am eager to see Renée Ahdieh's take on the well-known story.

6. 'The Miniaturist' by Jessie Burton 
I think what attracted me to this book was that it seemed similar to 'The Night Circus' (one of my favourite books ever) in terms of themes and the mood. I have literally no idea what this story is about, and yes, I could read the blurb, but I always feel that some blurbs just spoil too much. All I know is that it's set in an earlier time period, and historical fiction is another favourite genre of mine.

To be honest, I could still extend this list; these past few months I have been checking up on Amazon and Book Depository for recommended books. I suppose I should start this list first before jumping onto another; that would defeat the entire purpose of comprising this list!

What have you been reading lately, and what would you recommend?



I'll see you next time! x

No comments:

Post a Comment


Back to Top