Pages

Sunday, January 4, 2015

DIY: Watercolour Jewellery Dish

Hello there!

Today I have a DIY jewellery dish for you that I have been seeing constantly on Pinterest. The watercolour design makes for a great display piece on where you can organise random bits and bobs. It is not at all hard to make so let's get straight into it!


You will need:
1. nail polishes of your colour choice
2. small white dishes/plates
3. a bowl big enough to put your dish/plate into*
4. paper towels and kebab sticks for cleanup during the making process

I used purple polish for the actual DIY

*sidenote - you will be dropping nail polish into this so make sure it's not a bowl that you use for eating!

1. Fill your bowl 3/4 way with water. Ensure that your dish is clean and has no residue.

2. Place a drop of nail polish into the water, and wait for the drop to spread out and expand. You can speed it up by blowing at the polish drop.


3. Once you have your desired spread-out-ness (totally did not make that phrase up ;-)), dip your dish into the nail polish layer and take it out of the water with a scooping motion. How this all works is that you are making the layer of polish cling to your dish, creating a pretty watercolour effect.


4. Wait for a few minutes for the polish to set, then you can repeat the step above as many times as you want to get the look you desire. This is when you can switch up the colours and layer the polishes. To get rid of the remaining polish on the surface of the water, if any, use a kebab stick to sweep it out.


5. Let your dish dry and set for at least 5 hours. If there are parts of the design that you aren't satisfied with, use nail polish remover to remove it (as you can see from above there are some dots of teal which I removed later). Spray a clear coat after everything is dry.


I love how the nail polish spreads; it creates a wonderfully unique watercolour design. You can use your dish for anything: jewellery, daily essentials, those darn bobby pins and hair ties that keep running away on their own! These jewellery dishes make a great birthday present for a friend, or something for you to keep and display. 


Tomorrow is back to school for me from winter break, and I have to say I'm slightly nervous. I am almost certain that when I get back, my brain will be mush and I won't be able to remember anything. Ahhh, the joys of being a teenager!


That's all for today and I'll see you next week xx

No comments:

Post a Comment


Back to Top