Pages

Sunday, August 31, 2014

August Favourite[s]

Hey guys!

This month has been a blur, from saying goodbye to summer to getting used to the new class schedules. I haven't had much time to take note of favourites these few weeks, but one thing (or is it two?) stood out to me in particular: Guardians of the Galaxy. If you've seen my last post, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Today's post will be dedicated to just that!

New Poster: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’
A new trailer is dropping Monday at 1 pm.

Where to start, where to start? I didn't know much about the Guardians as I had never heard of them or seen a comic with them in it. If you asked me last month about 'The Guardians of the Galaxy' from Marvel, I would be like "Wait, what?". Nonetheless, I knew I would definitely be watching this movie because it's a Marvel movie and I'm a Marvel fan. On an ish-unrelated note, I saw this post on tumblr and found it hilarious.

"Marvel movies are just for guys."

Khloe's face doe

So blah blah blah, watched the movie, consumed a Starbucks muffin while doing so. Now on to the gushing part. I can honestly say that GOTG is my favourite Marvel movie so far. For me to say this is huge because I vaguely remember watching The Avengers and thinking "That's my favourite." Even out of the movies that came out/I watched over the summer (Life After Beth, TFIOS, Blended, X-Men: First Class, X-Men: Days of Future Past [the X-Men movies don't really count as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe]), I would rank GOTG as number one. 

First thing to mention: Chris Pratt. He is such a cool guy! I admire him so much for his decision to lose 60kg for the role as Peter Quill. In an interview, he said that he wanted to play the role of a superhero right, and he had to work hard for it. Super inspiring and he did not disappoint! 

BWAHAHAHAHA.

Next is Karen Gillan; she is a total BOSS. I love Nebula so much, even though she's a bad guy. Her makeup fascinates me, with all the hardware embedded into her face. The blue of her skin contrasts the complete black of her eyes, and that's what gives her her evil look. Again, for the actor to play the role they had to make major changes. Karen Gillan could've opted for a bald cap, but instead went all the way and shaved all her hair off. The dedication!


The movie is a perfect combination of wit, humour, action, and awww-ness (I am Groot!). Rocket Racoon's is-it-geniune-is-it-not laugh had me burst out laughing during that scene, and the ending bit, where Ronan was killed, had me on the edge of my seat. 

"Twelve percent?" [starts laughing]
"That's a fake laugh.
"It's real!"
"Totally fake!"
"That is the most real, authentic, hysterical laugh of my entire life because THAT IS NOT A PLAN!"

I thought the costumes were on point for this movie. Although the alien-space theme was the focus point, the costumes weren't super cheesy and worn-out; they were bright, fun, and skilfully designed. Same goes to the green screen effects and the spaceships. 

The second half to this post would be on the tracks of Guardians of the Galaxy (haha yep, two things) The music is what made GOTG such a good movie. The 'Awesome Mix, Vol. 1' soundtrack is filled with oldies that gives the movie its vintage charm. I love the contrast of BAM BAM BAM to "He's gonna recommend you to the spirit in the skyyyy"; the result is unique and, to put it bluntly, epic. My two favourites out of the soundtrack are 'Cherry Bomb' by The Runaways, and 'Hooked On a Feeling' by Blue Suede. TBH I had never heard of these songs before the movie, and I have really been missing out! Both tracks were played when the Guardians were all in Kyln, and the way 'Cherry Bomb' is played when they have their group walk (every superhero movie has the obligatory group walk/pose which is always my favourite part) is the best. The lyrics totally match the bad-ass don't-mess-with-us vibe.


There was this absolutely brilliant video of the 'Hooked On a Feeling' scene but YouTube has taken it down *sad face*

To say I enjoyed this movie would be a total understatement. It is hands-down the best movie I've watched this summer, possibly this year. As always, I encourage you to go watch it. Actually, no, I am telling you to watch it, not even asking, because asking in this case is irrelevant. WATCH IT :)

guardians of the galaxy

That's it for today. I now have to go do two things: 1. sleep because I am sick but cannot afford to miss school (so many assignments going on!) and 2. get a jacket like Peter Quill's so I can relive the amazing movie that Guardians of the Galaxy is every time I wear it!


Have a good week and I'll talk to you in the next post xx

No comments:

Post a Comment


Back to Top