Pages

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Star Wars: The Force Awakens


I'm going to be upfront: I've never seen any of the Star Wars movies. It's not that I don't want to, but I feel like all the major plot twists have been spoiled for me already. Nonetheless, I went ahead and watched the seventh episode, Star Wars: The Force Awakens on New Year's Day, and let me tell you, I was blown away!

*warning* spoilers ahead!

Let's get to the main point. I'm shocked, my family's shocked, Buzzfeed's shocked: in a galaxy far, far away, Han Solo was killed. GASP. Each movie before this had equally shocking scenes, so I guess I should've seen something coming. I just never thought it would be Han Solo; so many things relate back to him and Star Wars without him seems wrong!

For a lot of movies, the girl protagonist is whiny, irritating, and weak. I am very happy to say that Rey is not one of those cookie-cutter mains. In a way, she reminds me very much of the beloved Agent Peggy Carter: she's a strong, independent female, they both have English accents, and at angles she looks like her too. The fact that Rey is a talented fighter and pilot makes her character even better. Also, the compulsion ability she possesses due to the Force was a nice touch.

star wars the force awakens 2016

With all movies comes a ship that's set to sail. The most obvious ship (aside from Leia and Han) was Rey and Finn. Their meeting was practically designed for them to end up together. However, what was so painfully refreshing about the whole situation was that they didn't end up together at the end. Granted, there are still two more episodes to go, but nothing was forced. They didn't create this clichéd scene where the two of them share a kiss and declare undying love for each other. My friends and I agree that this is one of the factors that made The Force Awakens so enjoyable.

My list of favourite characters is unnecessarily (or is it?) long, and General Hux and Kylo Ren are definitely on it. Their bitter anger towards everything is wonderfully portrayed by Domhnall Gleeson and Adam Driver, respectively. The first time Hux appeared on screen I couldn't resist thinking, "Bill Weasley!" Ren actually had me fooled when Han pleaded him to leave the First Order, and he agreed to do so. Though I'm shocked at the brutal murder, I really liked his character.

star wars the force awakens 2016

On the topic of Ren, unless you have been living under a rock, you must have seen the Emo Kylo Ren memes somewhere; I for one am IN LOVE with them. The whole emo vibe mixed in with Ren's parental issues and struggle for power is undoubtedly hilarious!

There are a ton more on the Twitter page so check it out here.

Was I the only one excited about the cameos? Thomas Sangster, one of my favourite actors, unexpectedly popped up during the scene when Finn and Poe were escaping the First Order base, but sadly got blown up after 3 seconds of screen time. Bummer! Billie Lourd a.k.a. my favourite Chanel too made an appearance as Lieutenant Connix, who worked in the Resistance base. Daniel Craig also appeared in the movie as the stormtrooper Rey used compulsion on when she got captured. 

star wars the force awakens 2016

It's safe to say I'm excited for the next episode, coming out in May 2017. I would definitely like to learn more about the origins of, well, everyone - especially Poe Dameron and Rey - and I'm quite certain we will. 2017's a long way away, but I'm already anticipating the eighth episode!

So, all in all, I really enjoyed Star Wars: The Force Awakens. If you haven't seen it, what are you doing now?!




Have a lovely day! x

No comments:

Post a Comment


Back to Top