Pages

Monday, April 20, 2015

Marvel's Daredevil

Hello all!

I've sort of disappeared off the face of the earth; I haven't been active on my channel, Instagram, or this blog. I apologise for this but I think I have a pretty good reason for this: Daredevil.

*spoilers ahead*

Marvel's Daredevil premiered not so long ago on Netflix, and they launched the whole season 1 at once.
Binge-watching is right!

I am very glad that they did so, because I have spent the whole week immersed in the troubles of Hell's Kitchen and Matt Murdock. The whole show has very dark themes, and it surprised me that I loved it. I'm usually one for sitcoms or fantasy-action shows, but I have a soft spot for literally anything Marvel. Slap the Marvel brand on it and I will definitely watch it. Am I biased? Maybe. But Marvel anything tends to rock. I'm a huge fan of the movies, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, and the heroes overall. I mean, how kick-butt is Lady Sif and Wolverine?

Season 1 goes through the origins of Daredevil. I'm not a big reader of comics - mainly because they're hard to get hold of here in HK - so I'm not too sure if the show follows the actual story. I never really looked into the character; the only thing I knew about him was that he is a killer fighter on the Facebook game Marvel: Avengers Alliance (my friends have laughed at me for playing but it's a pretty good game!). Matt Murdock reminds me of a darker Barry Allen, who is passionate about keeping the city and its civilians safe. Darker because Daredevil beats up people for information, while I have yet to see The Flash do so. Stay pure, Barry Allen!

First thing to mention: the opening title sequence. LOVE the dripping red paint/blood concept! It's got to be one of my favourite sequences ever, along with iZombie's.


Charlie Cox portrays Daredevil really well. It's a little strange for me to see him as such a grim, quiet character. But then again, the only performance I've ever seen of his before is in The Theory of Everything as Jonathan Jones, the church choir director. There's a huge difference. I admire him for realistically depicting the blindness, as diseases and disabilities are hard to accurately pinpoint when acting. And of course, there is now a space in my heart for Matt Murdock, the Sass King. *Heart eyes*

I loved that they didn't rush anything, and each episode was sort of a day-by-day play on the whole situation. I'll admit, there were times when I was impatient and wanted the story to move forward. Nonetheless I picked up so much detail and that allowed me to really understand everything, like the origins of his Billy club.  

Daredevil's suit is a whole other thing to talk about. The way he only obtains it in the last episode shows true character development. And the suit it so cool! The costume designers went for the traditional red but added in splashes of black, which suits his mysterious personality and the all-hell-breaks-loose vibe of Hell's Kitchen. Again with the details, the majority of things are explained. The rest is just up to us as viewers to figure out, or to find out in the future. 

The supporting characters have really interesting dynamics. Foggy is an absolute cutie with a tough side, Karen is surprisingly strong, and William Fisk is kind of a psycho (Nobu's death is still stuck in my head). I liked the way they played out Fisk's story; it was definitely one of the highlights from season 1, in my opinion. There's always a backstory to why a villain is a villain, and it isn't always shown. His childhood gave me a better understanding of his character but I'm glad he's locked up, though something tells me The Kingpin isn't going to be suppressed for long!

I cannot wait for season 2 to come out, assuming there will be one. It hasn't been confirmed but it truly is a show worthy of a season 2 and many more seasons. There's still so much to explore; what's next for Vanessa, will Claire ever show up again, will Matt tell Karen everything. Bullseye is even in the talks of making an appearance. From what I know from M: AA, he's cocky and annoying; the perfect opponent! I'm just praying that the show doesn't pull an In The Flesh and leave us hanging. 

Needless to say, I am now a big fan of the show. Though the whole hero thing may not be for you, give Daredevil a try. You just might surprise yourself!



Sorry again for my late post, but boy has this been a long one! I'll see you in my next x

No comments:

Post a Comment


Back to Top